Breakfast time during the work week has always been a struggle for me. I would much rather sleep than take the time to make some food. On a typical morning, I do my morning routine and leave with my “commuters breakfast” (coffee + pop tart or toast).
Now, AJ (my husband) leaves for work at 5am (whoa!) and has the same struggle. But breakfast is super important to his day … so we have been making overnight oats for a few months now.
I googled a few recipes and picked the easiest. (Just keeping it real). Now, it’s part of the Sunday schedule – pull out the oats, fruit and milk and start assembling. I’ve added some tips / hints to the bottom of the post.
If you need to up your mason jar stash to make a full week, here are the ones we bought. (The 12oz jars)
Prep & Creation looks a little like an assembly line in our house since I usually make 7-8 jars at at time. It looks like this:
- Chop / Slice fruits and arrange around my mixing bowl. Also off to the side are the bonus items (chia, flax, cinnamon, etc) and milk.
- Start with the oats mixture for one jar. Add oats and any of the dry stuff into a mixing bowl or large measuring cup and mix with a fork or spoon. Funnel into your jar.
- Add the fruit to the top, then any nuts if you want now. (Some like to add at the time of eating so they are more crisp).
- Add the liquid … slowly ….
- Cover with the lid and give a good shake. Set aside
- Repeat until all your jars are full.
- Add a rubber band + plastic spoon
- Shake one more time as you load them into the fridge.
Here is the basic recipe: